Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Do Real Women Really Have Curves?


   First off I want to state that I’m all for women empowerment, but shouldn’t empowerment first start with us as women empowering each other? Meaning that shouldn’t we start accepting each woman as they are? One of my biggest pet peeves about this generation is the ad going around stating “real women have curves.” You all know which one I’m talking about, the one that states that all women aren’t stick perfect models who are 6 foot tall and have the figure of a little boy and “REAL WOMEN” have a butt, boobs, and a little cushion around their bones. I know the ad is meant to empower us women who may not have the “perfect” body to embrace it because model type women aren’t “real”.  Here’s my problem with it… all women are REAL women because they are all WOMEN! Now I’ll admit that for years I wished to have a stick figure body, but that’s just never going to happen with me. I was made with a 5’2” frame, a butt, and a body that tones to muscle not bone and no matter how much I denied it or put down another woman, I wasn’t going to grow 10 more inches and get the all too coveted thigh gap. It took me awhile to accept this, but when I appreciated that my body is MY body, flaws and all, it made proud of everything my body has been through and that’s what makes me unique. I think that the sooner we accept our bodies as OURS then the happier we will become and the real empowerment will begin.
  The phase the “grass is always greener on the other side” is a perfect quote for what us women really need to address. One of my best friends is the typical example of the 6 foot, model-like beauty, I was always jealous of her body and her ability to eat anything without it showing on her hips. One day she shocked me when we were hanging out, she told me “you know something? I’ve always been jealous of your petite body and wish I could shrink a few inches to be smaller” I couldn’t believe what I just heard come out of my model best friend’s mouth. She further explained that she hated being so freakishly tall and having a metabolism the speed of light because it was impossible for her to gain any weight and she wanted a butt or any curves for that matter.
  Going back to this “real women have curves” ad, what do you think it does to girls like my best friend, who were born with figures like little boys? If the ad is supposed to empower women, then why does it isolate a group of women who are just as “real” as the rest of us? The advertisement should say “real women are all women” because no matter what body you were born with, it’s just as real as the next girl’s body next to you. If we are so quick to blame our genes for making us fat then why can’t we accept the fact that some genes makes us naturally thin? Putting down other women who aren’t the same as us by saying things like:
“that’s not natural, she probably has an eating disorder”
“go eat a sandwich”
“no real man would want to date a twig”
“too skinny, obviously photo shopped”
  Nothing irks me more than women bashing other women. Isn’t the media hard enough on us as it is without the pressures of our peers? Although this ad was meant to be a positive thing, I think that it has done more harm than good. Who are we to use a catchphrase in order to make us feel more superior than another? I think that all women have their own ideal body, a body image which is usually the complete opposite of the one that we were born with. So who creates this “perfect” body and why is it shaped to be something that we can’t achieve? We are bombarded from little girl’s to adulthood of how our bodies should look and the ones we are usually attracted to are the ones that is impossible for us to become. For example what makes a 5’2” girl want to look like a runway model with boobs, when her best friend who could be the runway model want to look like the 5’2” girl next door?
 
 A REAL WOMAN

OH LOOK ANOTHER REAL WOMAN

 AND ANOTHER REAL WOMAN

YES VS SUPERMODELS ARE REAL WOMEN TOO
 
  The real empowerment for women should come from teaching girls that every single body is different and instead of putting down “skinny girls” as something disgusting and nothing to try and aspire to look like, we should teach young girls and all women for that matter to embrace the body we have and not compare it to others because we are all women and we are all REAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment