Tuesday, February 25, 2014

But what about Milk and Cookies ?

Last summer I made a life changing and at the time devastating discovery. Around June of last year I had to go on heavy antibiotics for MRSA that I had contracted from somewhere, after it was healed I realized that when I ate gluten my body was reacting to it very different than before. When I was consuming gluten my body would break out in folliculitis like symptoms which as you could imagine sent me into a slight panic. Around the same time I was developing an intolerance to lactose or milk sugar. Now if you are like me you know how many things in our daily food consumption include some type of dairy or wheat product. I started on my quest to a gluten-free/dairy-free lifestyle... I researched everything on substitution to recipes to remedies. The more I researched about gluten the more I found that I didn't even want to go back to eating wheat. Gluten sensitivity is actually very common in people today and it's very possible to develop a sensitivity to it. Gluten slowly causes damage to the small intestines. Some people have symptoms of gluten sensitivity and don't even realize that is what's causing it. Some symptoms include: Excessive fatigue, depression, weight gain, joint aches, body aches, abdominal pain, bloating, cramping, constipation, and diarrhea. Even if you don't have a major problem with gluten I suggest that everyone try and go 3weeks without gluten in their diet and see how they feel afterwards. During my gluten free journey I have come across recipe successes as well as a few failures... it can seem like a daunting challenge, but you get the hang of it after a bit. My favorite gluten free cookie recipe is posted below! Check it out!


2 cups almond or peanut butter

2/3 cup raw honey

2 large eggs

4 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup shredded coconut (do not pack down)

4 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp sea salt

1 1/2 cup raisins

Heat oven at 350 degrees. Mix almond/ peanut butter, honey, eggs, and vanilla until thoroughly mixed. Stir in coconut, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add raisins.

Bake at 350 for 10-11 mins.

ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment